Friday, May 30, 2008

I ate this Striped Bass: Would You?

This is me. And that was a very big striped bass. Thirty Eight inches to be exact. Caught, as you can see, near 23rd Street on the East River in the great City of New York aboard Tony Dilernia's Rocket Charters. Would I, a physician, gastroenterologist, and a bit of a chicken, eat this fish? I did (see recipe below), and it was tasty. But don't believe me on safety, believe (for once), the State of New York, which says, that for men above 16 and women "beyond the age of childbearing" that its ok to eat the stuff once a month. You have to go out pretty far to avoid that warning in New York. So eat it I did. In addition to the striper pictured above, there were several shorts, and a ton of bluefish.

So, get your fishing jones in right here in NY. And then cook.


Fish Marinade

Striped Bass Fillets (clean off all dark meat, and use a pliers to get rid of pin bones). For a large striper, I will cut the fillet at the pin bone line.

Olive oil
Lemon
Salt

Add one juiced lemon to each of 4 tablespoons of olive oil along with 2 teaspoons of salt. Add fish, put in a bag, seal and refrigerate about 1/2 hour. Cook on a clean grill that has been well oiled. My new favorite for this is PAM grill spray, which works like a charm.

2 comments:

dubno said...

I ate it too and thanks, Ira, it was delicious! When it comes to eating fish out of the New York waterway, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The fish was mild but flavorful and tasted clean and fresh and magical.

Ira.B said...

it was a magic fish, cause, poof, and it was gone!