Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Crabby Without Coffee


I can't live without coffee in the morning. I shudder if I need to go without, say because I am supposed to have major surgery. I need coffee when I get up, and hate to wait until I can get to a Starbucks or some other such place. But using the drip coffee machine always seemed beyond my feeble abilities. Reading the advice on a premium coffee label did nothing to assuage my fear: even though I actually owned a "true" tablespoon, I often couldn't find it. So I did some experimenting. First, for almost any coffee a ratio of one mildly heaping tablespoon to one cup of water seems to work just fine. Second, if you actually measure, one heaping tablespoon of a plain old tablespoon is about the same as a mildly heaping "true" tablespoon. Look at the photo for inspiration. Enjoy the coffee.

5 comments:

nygirl said...

Good going Ira. Do you know the website Chow? and Chowhound is the restaurant part.

Unknown said...

Good advice. Lots of coffeeless crabs in my house, too.

makettle said...

Yes I am very, very crabby without my first sip of coffee. I like it so strong the spoon stands upright in the cup. That's why I use two tablespoons of Intelligentsia Miller's blend per cup of water. How many ounces is your cup?

Ira.B said...

Ma,
I assume 6 oz since, like most people, I just use the little hash marks on the pot.

Unknown said...

I too find the best way to make a cup of coffee is 2 Tablespoons per 6 ounces of water. Many stores carry a 2 Tablespoon coffee scoop. My favorite coffee is 1/2 vienna and 1/2 french italian from Zabar's in NYC. www.zabars.com