Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Arroz Con Pollo


On Saturday we had friends over, and I decided to make Paella. This worked out quite well, and I will write about it over the next few days. Given the number of kids that were going to be at dinner, I also decided to make arroz con pollo. Several things differentiate my arroz con pollo from the garden variety you get at the Spanish or South American Restaurant. First of all, I use a lot of dark meat chicken (and I cook the bones in too, although I remove them later). This adds flavor and dark meat tastes better cooked than the white stuff. I do use that as well, mostly to fool the kids. Although you can use saffron, and I do for paella, I think that turmeric imparts a nice color and actually does have its own, subtle flavor. I use basmati rice, which gives a firm long grain taste, and I do not soak it beforehand. Finally, I really sauté the heck out of the onions. This helps greatly with the flavor.

INGREDIENTS

Chicken Breasts, 2, cur into small pieces
4 chicken thighs, skin off, cut into pieces but retain bones and whatever meat is left on them
2 cups chicken stock
2 ½ cups water
salt
pepper
frozen peas, about ½ cup
2 cups basmati rice (use a brand that does not desperately need to be washed)
large whole onion, sliced and quartered
3 sliced garlic cloves
½ tablespoon turmeric
Olive oil
One tomato, cut up

EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED

Deep large pan with cover for cooking

INSTRUCTIONS

Sautee onions in olive oil until they are soft and starting to turn brown. Set aside. Sautee dark meat chicken (including bone pieces) for several minutes, and then add white meat chicken. When cooked on the outside, add rice and garlic and stir around, without burning rice. Add one cup of stock, and stir. Add the turmeric, ½ teaspoon pepper, and salt to taste to other cup of stock and add that. Add 2 cups water, leaving the rest in reserve. Lower the heat on the stove to low, and cover. After about 10 minutes, open, and stir rice, making sure to get any rice that is stuck on the bottom. Cover again. Keep checking every few minutes and stir. Add peas and tomato pieces. If the mixture looks like its drying out before the rice is fully cooked, add a bit of water (1/4 cup or so) and stir like crazy. Its ready when rice is cooked and still moist. Remove bones prior to serving

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to fight the children off and partake, and this was very yummy.

Ira.B said...

I had to get mine while it was still in the pan! darn kids.

MM