Monday, June 11, 2007

Raffetto's Gorgonzola and Walnut Ravioli


I have been on a ravioli kick recently. The boys like it, the wife tolerates it, its to hot to cook and it doesn't require a lot of clean up. Zabar's has a decent selection, so I can pick it up on the way home. If I remember to get an onion, some garlic and a can of tomatoes, I can make homemade sauce. Although I enjoy many types of ravioli, I have been on something of a kick with Rafetto's jumbo Gorgonzola and walnut ravioli.

Rafetto's is located on 144 West Houston Street ((212) 777-1261. Cash only and closed Sunday and Monday). It has been around since 1906, and makes excellent pasta and ravioli. I came upon the Gorgonzola and walnut almost by accident (there was no cheese or spinach available at Zabar's). If you can't make it down to the store, they sell it at a variety of specialty shops in addition to Zabar's. There are several things that differentiates this ravioli from its more pedestrian brethren. The first is the pasta itself, easy to cook yet quit chewable and flavorful. the second is the filling: the Gorgonzola cheese really stands out and are well balanced by the walnuts. It really tastes different from your traditional ravioli. Having said that, it doesn't taste so different that you wish you weren't eating it: it tastes good!

Raffetto's Links

NYU Portfolio
NY Daily Photo Blog

No comments: