Monday, February 04, 2008

Bacon Flavored Chocolate

I am not making this up. As I am writing this, I am staring at Mo's Bacon Bar, which consists of 41% milk chocolate combined with pieces of applewood smoked bacon and alder wood smoked salt. It is made by a company called Vosges Haut Chocolat, which has a store in New York in Soho (132 Spring Street: 212-625-2929). If you go to the site, you can see that, in addition to bacon, Vosges sells a large variety of exotic chocolates, including such flavors as green tea, chiles and ginger. They also sell exotic truffles, chocolate henna: well you get the idea.

The real question is: how does it taste? Fortunately, I received my bar as a wonderful housewarming gift for the Superbowl. From a Pats fan, no less (other than that, my New England friend, you are perfect). So after trying the chocolate, I passed it around to some of the other people in my house to get an answer. And the consensus is "cute idea, poor execution." The chocolate flavor is overwhelmed not by the bacon, which is sort of a crunchy aftertaste, but the salt, which is overpowering. The chocolate is ok, but there is better out there. I thought there was sort of a greasy taste to the whole thing.

I have nothing against "two great tastes that go great together." But in this case, three is a crowd. I am going to stick with straight chocolate for now. And straight bacon. And straight salt. But I will see my cardiologist soon.

No comments: