Thursday, February 21, 2008

Eating On The Slopes of Val D'isere: Signal


As most of you know, I don't ski. This is for my safety, as well as the safety of those around me. However I do eat! One of the nice things about the Val D'isere area is that you can buy a pedestrian lift pass (40 Euros/Week) which allows you to take all of the gondolas and even some chair lifts (not for me) to your hearts content. Because of this, I have been able to join the family for lunch on the slopes. And while the view has been spectacular from many locations, I have no found a reason to go up to eat!

Le' Signal is located right at the exit of the Fornet gondola. It has a snack shop, a cafeteria style restaurant, and a real restaurant (E-mail : brigitte@lesignalvaldisere.com or telephone : 33 (0)4 79 06 03 38 for reservations). The view is lovely, and the food rather good. The lovely wife and I both had salads (I had Greek and she had something with anchovies) which were remarkably good. Boy #2 had spagetti Bolongaise and Boy #1 did, too. All were quite good. Tarts were exceptional. The only downer was chocolate mouse, which was inedible. Other than that, everything was good. They also have meat ravioli, which I did not eat, but which looked very attractive!

If you do ski at Val D'isere, it is certainly worthwhile to stop for lunch at Le Signal. It was clearly the best food I have ever eaten on a mountain surrounded by skiers!

No comments: