Sunday, May 04, 2008

Nueske's Smoked Bacon: ehhhhhhh


Bacon seems to becoming more of an 0bsession than usual in the MM household. Don't tell the Rabbi! Anyway, we tried yet another brand of bacon: Nueski's Smoked Bacon. At first, the bacon looked like it was going to be great. As you can see from the photo [its fuzzy, I know, but my camera is failing :( ] the bacon is cut thick for a commercial brand, and the meat to fat ratio (the MF!) is good. Having said that, the taste wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

I thought the bacon was too salty. Also, it was difficult to crisp well without burning, although I probably could have adjusted my cooking somewhat. Finally even though it is applewood smoked (on the website they tell you), it has a somewhat harsh smoked taste, which is not my preference.

So far, of the bacon reviews, my favorite is still:

1) Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon

followed by

2) D'artagnan bacon

There will of course, be more to follow.

2 comments:

The What To Expect Foundation said...

due to your tennis playing you have missed last summer's major bacon tasting. Perhaps you will stop playing with the balls in the morning and hang out with the boys and their meat.

Ira.B said...

touchy, touchy, touchy. its that tennis that allows me to eat all this bacon and continue living....
anyway, even in my forties, i think its possible to play with your balls in the morning and still heat your meat in the afternoon.