Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bleu D'Auvergne: Raw Milk Blue You Get in US (But Shouldn't)

Bleu D'Auvergne is a raw milk cow's milk cheese that was developed in France in the mid nineteenth century. The cheese is from the mountains of South-Central France, where Roquefort is from. The best review I found of the history and making of the cheese is from an article by Janet Fletcher in 2005. The cheese, although made from raw milk, is legal in the US because it has been aged for more than 60 days.

I am not impressed with this cheese overall. It sort of tastes like "blue cream cheese." It's mild taste, which is not overwhelming, might be good in salad, but I think that a cheese this smooth would just look gloppy in this situation. I certainly wouldn't serve it alone. Some web sites suggest melting the cheese after it ages on steak, but, again, I think you have better choices with other blue cheese. In fact, I am now in posession of an entire wheel of the original Maytag Blue, which I will be reviewing soon.

As for Bleu D'Auvergne, I would prefer to use Roaring 40's Blue or Roquefort to serve with a plate, or the soon to be reviewed Maytag for cooking. Its not bad, but there is better.

No comments: