Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Chimay Cheese: Who Knew?


I first had Chimay Beer, made by Trappist Monks, when I was in college. I liked the beer, and, at the time, really liked the really large bottle it came in. Over the years I have enjoyed Chimay, particularly when I eat at Belgian restaurants (its great with fries and mayo!). So I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that in addition to beer, those Belgian Monks made four type of cheese, too. Zabar's had two types for sale: Grand Cru and Chimay with Beer. I bought a piece of the Grand Cru, which is only available as a large wheel. I found to be a mildly nutty semisoft cheese. It has a pleasant aroma and an edible rind. There is a mild bitter aftertaste, which works well in this cheese. The cheese is made from pasteurized cow's milk. Most importantly, the cheese tasted good on crackers. The Chimay website also has recipes, which I am linking too but do not necessarily recommend. I would definitely add this cheese to a cheese plate at a party. And yes, it would taste great with beer.

No comments: