Sunday, July 27, 2008

Greetings From Maine: Cindy's


I am back from visiting day, our annual pilgrimage to Maine to visit Boy#1 at camp. Last time we flew, which wasn't so great. This time we drove, which wasn't much better, but at least we were able to stop at many places along the way. Although I am still deciding, I think I will also drive when I go to pick him up at "Father's Weekend (sexists!) with boy #2. After all, a multitude of eateries await.

Today, I am going to write about Cindy's, which is located at 174 Yarmouth Road (Route 1), just north of Exit 17 from Interstate 295. You can call 207-865-1635 to see if they are open. It took us less than five minutes to get there from LL Bean. I can't find it on Google Maps! If you can, let me know. Cindy's, as you can see from the picture, is a roadside series of shacks and some picnic tables. Lots of kitsch stuff, too. Its cool.

Cindy's is know for their fried clams. And rightly so. The lovely wife and agree that these are some of the best (if not the best) fried clams we have ever eaten. I had fish and chips, which was cheap and remarkably good, too. Onion rings were great. They bake their own desserts, and the whoopie pie WAS the best I have ever had as well.

We arrived early for lunch, avoiding the crowds. They cook by the order, so be prepared to wait. Its also worth going to chat with Bob Pottle, who owns the place, and gives a little touch of Maine with every word out of his mouth.

There is a clam lovers web site (who knew!) that also has nothing but good things to say about Cindy's. They have some nice photos as well.

No comments: