Monday, July 07, 2008

Smoked Leg of Lamb (easy)


I hope everybody had an excelllent July 4th weekend: I know I did. As the summer progresses, I am always looking for new ways to use my smoker. Although we've gotten pork and brisket down, and are not doing badly with chicken, I have never made a whole leg of lamb. Granted, I have butterflied them and grilled them plenty, but I have never tried to cook a bone in one. So when I saw half a leg (the proximal half) at King Kullen on the way to Fire Island, something compelled me to buy it and give it a shot. And I'm glad I did. Smoking a lamb was remarkably easy, fast (for smoking), and was a huge success at dinner. It also looks cool, all Henry the VIIIth and all, before you carve it up. I created this rub with the help of boy 2.

INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED

leg of lamb, bone in
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (for rub)

basting sauce ingredients
white vinegar, 1 cup
one tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
some lemon juice if available

INSTRUCTIONS

Either use a smoker or grill on indirect heat, at about 250 degrees. I guess you could try this in the oven as well, but without wood. I used mesquite, but you could use any wood you want. Mix all the spices together, and rub over the lamb. Place in a tray and place in the smoker. Ignore for at least three hours. Baste once or twice with the basting sauce ingredients (yes, you should combine those!). Using a thermometer, check doneness. I like this lamb at about 165 to 170 degrees. Let it sit a bit, carve and serve. Easy!

No comments: