Saturday, September 13, 2008

Boar's Head Bacon Is Actually Good!


I wasn't expecting much from Boar's Head Bacon. It was thin, it was inexpensive, and it looked a lot like some of the big national brands: most of which i have found inedible. However, I do like their cold cuts, which really are a "cut above :)" the rest. I also like their hot dogs with the red label: I can't even eat a Hebrew National after them. So, I gave it a shot.

There is a lot of fat on the bacon: than in some of the "specialty" brands that I have eaten, such as Applegate Farms. This made cooking a little more difficult as I had to clean out the griddle more. Having said that, the bacon cooked clean and brown, and was quite tasty. It was crunchy, with a pleasant smoked flavor and plenty of meat on the pieces after cooking. Most of the excess fat (and maybe some water) cooked off and did not affect the final product that hit the plate. The bacon also much easier to find in stores: heck, its Boar's Head!

The family poll was clear: 4/4 thumbs up for Boar's Head. It is the current winner of the Male Martha commercial bacon award! Having said that, I still prefer Applegate Farms.

No comments: